Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

*NEW* Rough Country ZJ long arm kit!!!!!

33K views 45 replies 21 participants last post by  patchrick843 
#1 ·
HOLY COW THIS KIT IS AWESOME!

If you've seen the XJ and TJ long arm kits you know what this kit is capable of. I've got a few on hand ready to go. It lists for $1449.95. For NAGCA members only, I'm selling them for $1249.99 with $24.99 shipping inside the continental United States. Alaska, Hawaii and , Puerto Rico will need to be quoted as well as international shipmens. I've sold two already and I have 5 left at this time. The deal is only available through me at the shop.

954-334-0486
-Eric

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_zj_4xla.html

#5 ·
Talked to guys at Rough Country because I was seriously looking for when I bumped up to 7 inches of lift and wanting adjustable long control arms. I was excited to finally see them make one. Yes it would work but for me the thread count left in the arm tubes would not. I like to have a couple of inches in the tube still to give me a warm and fuzzy. Five inches I think you would be fine.

#6 ·
do you have an idea of exactly how much thread is intact with a 7" lift? also whats the general consensus of their track bars and brackets? trying to decide if i want just the upgrade kit and get my own springs and track bar or the complete setup and see how it works out, and just add some lift spacers for now.

#7 ·
Other options would be since your going to run 35's would be some iceland fender flares which would allow you to run between 4-5 inches of lift with their kit no problems. Depends on what your building your rig for. They told me I would have maybe an inch and/or possibily less in the tube. I was told that they did not test it for anything at that height which I understand since they run it on 4inches. So I went with the folks I know, Iron Rock Offroad. Track bar and brackets I have not had issues in my past builds with them but I did not put them through major abuse. I would say complete set up if you want 5inches or less. Any higher is questionable in my opinion with it. Once again depends on the abuse you have in mind.

#8 ·
thanks really appreciate it, yeah that sounds sketchy with that little thread. i have seen the flares and was thinking about them, especially since my laws are real gay around here about tires. i dont do a ton of off roading and im pretty careful, i would definately go with something like IRO or clayton if i had the cash. i can do the kit for now and see where i go with it, if it comes down to it i can always weld extensions on the arms.

#9 ·
Yea what it sounds like I'd go with the Rough Country kit if you do not do alot of offroading and you will be fine. As far as welding you'd void the warranty if you put a torch to it.

#16 ·
Been checkin in here for an answer for awhile now....any chance of the upgrade kit for the discount? After searchin around, I see they can be had for a grand anywhere, any incentives to buy one from you??

#20 ·
Any long-term serious abuse feedback? I have heard from several people who had to completely replace the joints with upgraded units because they kept coming loose on them while simply driving down the road.

#21 ·
There are pics of mine flexing last weekend at the link below;

http://www.cincyoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7539&page=2

Scroll down to see the pics of the tire stuffed into the wheel well opening. NO sheet metal has been trimmed yet and no carnage yet.

Two of my friends have been running the RC long arms on their XJ and MJ. They said that they had to rebuild the flex joints after only one season of wheeling but Rough Country sent them a different bushing set made of a different kind of material. They drive these rigs everywhere on the street also.

#22 ·
Your pictures indicate that you are not familiar with the Tread Lightly mindset, please try to stay on the trail to prevent further erosion, damage, and the inevitable closure of our trails.

#27 ·
Actually not hippies, just people that like to educate themselves about a subject before the make comments. Look up tread lightly, and then look up trail closers all over the country. Driving off the trails, tearing up the trails we have, and then not learning from the mistakes of others are all ammunition for the "hippies" to push legislation through that closes our trails or cuts down the use we have.

Educate yourself and the people around you and we might still have trails to ride on when our kids grow up...or we MIGHT just have private land that cost way to damn much to use for most of us, if we have anything at all.

#28 ·
Word

@ cincygman - The ZJ looks awesome! Those AM racing wheels give it a nice classic look. I'm really surprised how well the LA kit performs. A local customer of mine just did the la upgrade kit with 5.5 RE coils and it flexed to the moon.

The guys do have a point. Every place has its own rules and regs. Public land will come down on you more harshly than an off road park if you are off trail. It didn't look like you were dogging it out there so I'm sure no harm was done. More and more trails get closed down every year, we all have to do our best to make nice for the decision makers.

One thing we do in the clubs I hang out in is we organize trail clean up's and maintenance outings every few months. So what you get your hands dirty, we also get to wheel at the same time. Makes us look like "conservationists" to the state.

***As the OP I'd like to say some great points were made about Tread Lightly and wheeling etiquette. Lets bring the topic back to the LA kit.***

#29 · (Edited)
I was afraid that you guys were truely dissing me for "being off the trail". Since education is the purpose of "tread lightly", then let me see if I can offer some facts for you. Maybe you have never lived east of the Mississippi or wheeled here either. I, on the other hand have lived and wheeled out west and in my home region. Out west, there is vast land available for recreation and wheeling. Most of that land is public, government owned land and that is a subject for another discussion some day, anyway, I am very well versed on tread lightly where it applies, mostly on public land where the terrain offers many natural challanges and obsticles on well established trails. Around here we have very few public areas to wheel. One of those is Danial Boone National Forest. We gladly and respectfully obey all tread lightly guide lines while there and every club around here participates in trail clean up and maintanence projects every year. Unfortunately most places we have around here are on private property. The park where those pics were taken are on privately owned property and a newer park. The owner of that land actually encourages the forming of new trials where ever we want to try and establish one as to create a verity of different challanges.
So while you are sitting on your high horse and want to call me out on my wheeling practices, maybe you should know without a doubt what you are spouting off about. I don't tell you how to build your rig or what kind of gear to put on your ride because I don't know you or the trails you ride on. Last time I looked and for now, this is still a free country. So unless I have done harm to you or your family or your personel property or have committed a crime in your presence, leave me alone and I will leave you alone. ;)
Now, about this LA kit. I am very impressed still with the ride quality as I drive this on the street most of the time. The off road capabilty the long arms provide is a vast improvement over stock short arms. I am very glad I went with this kit and would recommend to anyone looking to improve there ride. That is my opinion about this kit, you are free to do what you want. :)

#30 ·
Thanks for clearin that up cincygman...the "educate yourself comment" was directed at a very ignorant "freaking hippies" comment. It is very true that the rules and regs change per location, let alone geographical area. But thanks for the clarity.

As for the lift, there is no way you can argue with the flex shots. Are you happy with the quality of parts and how they're holding up so far? And how about price compared to others on the market for the performance you're getting?

#31 ·
The fit, finish and quality of the Rough Country kit is very good. I only have one trail ride on this set up and about 800 miles on the street. So far everything has been excellent. RC changed the material they use for the flex joints so time will tell how they hold up. I feel that this is an excellent product for the price. The only issue was with the directions. Some important details were skipped or incorrect. One thing that I would make clear about installing ANY kit like this is that it is not a job for the average weekend tinkerer to install by their selves. Also the install time, if you are taking your time to pay attention to detail, would be slightly longer than what RC says it is. Especially if your doing it on the ground. :D
Also, there is no mention about the front brake lines. As of right now, I have mine unbolted from the frame but need to add extensions or swap them out for longer ones.
I don't have any drive line vibrations on acceleration, deceleration or at normal speeds, back roads or highway. We spent the extra time while on the alignment rack to set up the pinion angles. Many people talk about the rear drive shaft but I don't have issues with it yet. I want make a change but not sure which way I am going to go with it.
As with any thing else, now I need way more goodies for my rig like rock sliders, lights, stereo, winch, lockers and so on.
Hope this diatribe was helpful. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.