Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

stuck in part time four-wheel drive?

13K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  GreenMachine 
#1 ·
A few weeks ago I shifted my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 6 cyl. to full time four-wheel drive on my driveway. So now my jeep is in two wheel drive but the dash light says it is in part time four wheel drive. When I shift to part time four-wheel drive the part time light goes off. It also feels like I am in full time four-wheel drive when I shift to part time. I have to drive in reverse for a good distance before I hear the four wheel drive pop out. I didn't used to have to do this to get it out of four-wheel drive.

Is it bad to drive my Jeep in part time four-wheel drive all the time? I might be driving on the highway this weekend for several hundred miles. How do I know for sure if I am stuck in part time four-wheel drive? Thanks.

#4 ·
Try to make the shift changes while your on loose ground, like gravel or dirt. See if that makes a difference. You may have make the changes while you are rolling. I usually do.

#5 ·
here what could happen. This person left there Dodge dakota with the 231d in 4 hi on pavement. Made it 12 miles out of town when it exploded. I got more pictures of it. The front driveshaft had made alittle hole in the floor pan when it hit. Also broke the skid plate that was below the Transfer case.

#6 ·
part time can be left in only if theres compact snow/ice. if your driving straight, say on the freeway, and you see a corner with some snow, pull er in. pop er back out when things dry up. that's how us low end, plane jane, no lux option 231 ZJ owners have been doin it for years.

your problem sounds in the electrical display to me though. the transfercase shifts where the forks are moved to, not where the electical display says. ive been in cars with the awd feature (242) and its hard to tell if thats 4 high or awd without looking imo.

there should be an electrical plug on the case somewhere, maybe two. id pull it out clean it up, see what happens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.