Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

31's on stock ZJ?

13K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  DankNesS 
#1 ·
I just picked up a set of 31 inch bfg all terrains. I know a small lift is suggested for 31's but ID like to know if anyone has run 31's stock and if they rubbed and if so how bad? Thanks.

#2 ·
i dont think it will fit... my friend has a 2inch BB and he is pretty close to having issues with his 31x10.50s

im about to get some 31x10.50x15 firestone A/Ts and ti know for a fact it would look goofy with big tires and no lift

#5 ·
Here are some pics. The vertical clearance seems to be ok for now but I havent really tried to flex it yet. Going over bumps it does not come in contact with the top of the fender. It rubs slightly on the left side on the lower control arm and on the right side it slightly rubs on the swaybar it only rubs when turning hard to the left , Turning right it does not rub at all. Personally I think they look awesome on the jeep, 100 times better than the crappy street radials that were on it.

#7 ·
looks like a tight fit... even with my stock 27 inch tires my wheel was hitting the top of the wheel well with the sway bar discoed at full flex...

so i would at least to a 2inch BB pretty soon.. theres a guy on here who can make them for you, for 20 a pair, out of metal. so id look into that.... man im gonna ahve problems with my 31x10.50s... with the stock tires i already rub the sway bar on the right side at full turn... gonna need some spacers soon

#8 ·
I dont plan on doing any real offroading for awhile, at the most it will be driven on very mild trails. And I dont plan on disconnecting my swaybar ever, I dont ever plan on doing hard wheeling that would require me to do that. This is pretty much a daily driver that can hold its own on mild offroad trails. I dont plan on doing any rock crawling or mudding. My guy here can also make me a budget boost and he makes his out of polyurethane which Id imagine would give a better ride than metal.

#13 ·
Putting the 2" BB may cause the tires to rub on the back of the wheel well, maybe...

#14 ·
will it really?

i have a 2" BB on my zj and in a week im getting some 31x10.50x15s and i was under the impression that it will be fine... im also looking for some wheel spacers too since im staying on my stock rims

#16 ·
I had my rear a stock height on 34's... yes i trimmed the piss out of it but minor trimming should take care of most problems

I'm actually going to try to lower the whole thing back to stock height here soon and see if i can still run 34's on it

i'll let you know how that turns out haha

#19 ·
i just did a BB on my buddy's ZJ. he WAS cruising around all day just fine on 31's and stock ride height.

he only needed to trim his front bumper and was good. i added 2 and 1/2 inch pucks upfront and v8 upcountry springs out back. now he doesn't rub.... of course his sway bars are connected.

at 3.5 i had some rubbing with 31's with both sway bars off. with some good trimming and hammering of the pinch seam most of that can be eliminated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.