Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

What torque for the transmission pan bolts?

37K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  sraczka 
#1 ·
changed the fluid this past weekend and went to torque the pan bolts back down and set the torque wrench to 144 in-lbs like the chiltons manual stated, went to the four corners first, tightening all them down by hand first evenly, then putting the torque wrench to the bolts, the gasket starts coming out the side. Let dry overnight, add fluid next day and walk back inside, come out some time later and she is dripping fluid rather badly, so I did the whole thing again and this time I just have them hand tightened, till I could do a search on here, anybody's FSM say something different?
sorry so long, thanks

#4 ·
hhaa sorry i dont know what i was thinking when i wrote hand tight :lol:

i ment using the wrench i tightend it only using one hand so not to put too much pressure on the bolts. i would put a bolt in and tighten it with the wrench not using any force till it stopped. then i tightened it 1 full turn to 3/4 of a turn , i did it on 3 jeeps and no leaks.

#6 ·
Hey Wade....I think on my XJ I only tightened them down to like 7-11ft/lbs which is your 144 in/lbs. What type of gasket did you use? I use eiher cork or the new expensive one piece ones if they are cheap enough......

11ft/lbs or 144in/lbs is basically the hand tight and then a little more like these guys are saying. It is pretty much just like the oil pan gasket that we installed on your pan.

#7 ·
I didn't use a torque wrench on mine either. You probably installed the gasket wrong or something if it was coming out of the sides. The torque specs on the bolts are worthless in my opinion.

#9 ·
I was going to torque mine but I didn't have 1/4" extensions to reach in some places with the 1/4" inch pound wrench I have so I just did it snugly a couple times around. I have 1/4" to 3/8" adapters now so I will be ok next time.
I've been using the jeep chiltons for years and got a haynes recently and it is like night and day compared to how much better torque specs are displayed, pictures and ease of use.I have 3 other books for other cars and they are perfect but they failed on the jeep book(atleast for ZJs).
Haynes is MUCH better IMO.

;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.